Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Is there really 2 meters of topsoil here?!?!?!

So as I am working on the lake design for the Ve'lke project here is Slovakia we are trying to determine the best way to seal the lake bottom.  Of course, the cheapest is clay, if we can find a good shaper that has worked with clay before.  One snag, there's no clay anywhere...Not a problem, time to use a liner, but what I did have a problem with was the fact I was told it was completely topsoil to the ground water level of 2 meters.  Now I grew up in Indiana and we had good soil, but I have since lived in Florida (all sand) and North Carolina (all clay) so I figured this all topsoil was just a bit of Slovak boasting which does happen from time to time so I was skeptical at best.  There was one way to test this...dig for water.

Since we needed to verify the ground water level and soil profile we brought in a backhoe to dig out a 3m x 3m hole.  When asked how deep to go, I said till we hit water then 1/2 meter past.  Well this is what we got...


That's some black dirt....




And it kept going...



2 meters exactly until we hit 5cm of sand and then gravel mix.  And then the water poured in!  Water was exactly where we wanted it, and yes, there was 2 full meters of topsoil! 

All my friends and clients in NC - You pay for shipping and I'll load it up!

-B-

No comments:

Post a Comment